Wednesday 12 December 2007

Going backwards.....

Went to work this morning despite feeling horrible and knowing that the feeling in my legs is getting gradually less and my balance is getting worse. I nearly rang in sick but thought, one more shift then I can get home and lie on the sofa for 4 days. When I got to work I kept thinking I shouldn't be there, and then when it came to starting work I ended up in tears and talking to my station officer. I am now on a couple of days sick and will go back to work on Monday on light duties, back to the same office I was in last time.

My legs feel the same as last time when they were bad but I haven't had the gradual change in sensation as last time, things have got worse very quickly. Still I'll spend some time on light duties, hopefully get better and get back to it. I think I'll have a proper think about what else I can do in terms of a job over the next few weeks. I have been thinking about it loosely over the last month or so but I haven't got anywhere.

So anyone any ideas.......I would like to work shifts but not nights and not past midnight and would like to get out and about but not as much as this job....... Ah well, I think I am employable so will find something if I have to!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Victoria:

Unfortunately you have come to the crossroads of decision. It is always hard to cut down or give up one's profession to start at something new.

Given that you are expert in your present job, perhaps looking for a Medical Technician job (like in a doctor's office) where you take vitals, do EKG's, draw bloods, etc. would be better for you because there is little or NO lifting, split shifts so you can rest (say over a lunch/dinner break), and work as many hours a week as you choose.

We have them here in the USA in doctor's offices as well as Emergency Rooms, clinics, and small medical centers. Very good for people who fight fatigue, lifting issues, and other health issues.

It is a shame you can't get more special accommodations on your job...for example, do a half shift on runs and then half shift on desk work.

I asked for the accommodation of working every other day so I could get a rest and that worked well for about two years. If I felt better, then I would work more; if I didn't then they were understanding about it.

Of course, you are young yet and can still get more education if you choose. But there is nothing like staying in the medical field because that is where the work is and that is where the money is.

Try and get some rest. Talk to your doc about your symptoms and maybe he/she can help you out.

Take care and God Bless,
Anne

Charles-A. Rovira said...

Hello Victoria,

if you're looking for something to do to save your sanity, because that's what I'm doing with podcasting since February 2006, you might send me an email.

I'm looking for a voice to join mine in my podcast. (Think of it an a radio show for the internet, but with TiVO built in.)

Charles-A. Rovira said...

Grrr. Blogger mucked up my email address: charles (at) MSBPodcast.com